November 23, 2022
A self-storage boom is currently taking place within our Canadian borders as more and more people are relying on self-storage systems to properly store their possessions. The industry has experienced tremendous growth and popularity in recent years which can be tied to its effectiveness, and its ability to provide a vital need to the public as its reliability has grown to become unquestioned.
If you’re new to this space and wondering why self-storage systems have become so popular, then you’re in the right place. Within this blog post we’ll touch on why self-storage systems have experienced this recent boom and why self-storage units are here to stay!
All across Canada and especially within the province of Ontario more and more people are opting into self-storage units. Some of the main reasons include:
- Downsizing: Many people are opting out for smaller homes in order to reduce living expenses. But there is still the need to store possessions at another location.
- Temporary Storage Solution: Homeowners who are undergoing renovations, or just need some extra space for storing items can benefit from utlizing a self-storage system. This will ensure that their possessions stay safe and sound.
- Business Expansion: As businesses expand they may be seeking additional storage.This alternative offers the flexibility of space for many businesses so they are not inclined to lease extra office space or clutter their current workspace.
- Preservation: Other times it’s to simply to store nostalgic or personal family artifacts. Storage units provide a long-term solution for us to properly store our memories.
Why You Should Consider Self-Storage Systems
With its ability of being extremely reliable and providing needed flexibility, self-storage systems have become the predominant option when seeking both a short-term and long-term storage solution. Let’s take a deeper dive into how prevalent self-storage systems have become.
Right now in Canada there are over 3000 storage facilities, this figure accounts to about 263,000,000 rentable storage space square footage in Canada. To bring these numbers closer to home, about 9.5% of all Canadian households are currently renting a self-storage unit (based on industry estimates from the Canadian Self-Storage Association).
So what do these numbers really mean? The data shows that self-storage units are the go to solution for people looking at a safe and secure option when storing their belongings. The demand for self-storage in Canada has been steadily increasing, with many people and families choosing the safety of these units over any other self-storage solution. If you’ve been thinking about using a self-storage system, keep in mind that many people just like you already do and are enjoying the benefits it brings. Some of these benefits include:
- Safety and Security: With a steel-framed container, you can be sure that your belongings are safe from the elements. Whether it’s rain or snowing and freezing cold outside, containers will keep everything dry inside. Self-storage facilities even offer climate controls units for items that are sensitive to temperature or humidity. These types of self-storage units will most likely be an indoor climate-controlled self storage facility. Storage unit facilities are also equipped with 24/7 video surveillance, a security gate, alarm system and on-site staff. The onsite staff perform daily checks around the entire facility to ensure that your items are safe and sound.
- Convenience: Self storage units are the perfect solution for storing your mobile home, commercial business property or recreational vehicle. They offer convenient 24/7 drive-up access with no appointment needed.
- Accessibility: The 24-hour access ensures that you can get inside any time of day or night. Whether it be in the morning, evening or even late nights, your items are always an arms reach away.
Modern Self-Storage Systems
The self-storage industry has come a long way since its inception in the 1960s. When self-storage systems were first introduced, facilities back then were limited to dilapidated wooden shacks surrounded by chicken wire with little resistance to outside elements, weather conditions and theft. Storage systems back then provided a scintilla of comfort to its users. Compared to modern day storage system units, today’s facilities are state of the art structures that are designed to keep your items secured in a proper manner in order to avoid any damage, theft or losses. The modern day storage facilities are much more than just sturdy walls and roofs. Facilities today are equipped with 24/7 video surveillance, climate controlled storage units, mobile storage units and on-site staff to ensure that your items are safe and sound. A good storage facility shoulder include the following:
- Premium Security
- Multiple Size Options
- Pickup and Delivery Services
- Climate-Controlled Storage
- Insurance For Your Belongings
After reading this blog, we hope you were able to develop a better understanding of what a self-storage system can provide and why it has become the perfect choice for any of your short-term or long-term self storage needs. If you need self-storage, don’t put it off any longer and get started today! Hanlon Park offers a variety of storage options that are suitable for your needs. If you’d like to get started, speak to one of our friendly staff members today! We’d be happy to answer any questions you may have and book the perfect storage unit for your items! Don’t hesitate, call us today! The perfect mobile storage unit is waiting for you!